Automation Specialist (not QA)
Please note: this position is on-site at our Malta, IL location.
We are seeking a Automation Specialist who will support development and deployment of innovative engineering products and solutions as Subject Matter Expert in support of data collection within the Seeds Development Organization. The Automation Specialist will build and support deployment of standard, scalable, fit for purpose solutions while, keeping pace with technology cycles delivering productivity gains.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate expertise in performing detailed design work to support the development of functional prototypes as well as collaboratively working across global, cross cultural, functional matrices.
- Leads development of new product designs for automating handling of agricultural products like plants and seeds.
- Works on medium and large engineering / technology solutions development projects.
- Creates product designs that are value-driven, scalable, safe, reliable and maintainable.
- Follows engineering standards while designing and scaling the designs.
- Actively participate in innovative research and development projects.
- Partners with internal automation, engineering, R&D teams to develop new solutions.
- Work in agile, interdisciplinary teams.
- Solve complex technical problems and explore new ways to bring value
- Expect an innovative and forward-looking working environment with state-of-the-art technology solutions in the agriculture research area.
- Collaborate with Data Sciences, business and IT teams (plus any other related functions) to develop and contribute into implementation and delivery.
- Support a global framework that enables rapid upscaling / introduction of new software solutions into the operations of the research teams.
- Continuous improvements and innovation in delivery of technologies, including improvements in HSE, cost-effectiveness, speed, accuracy and reliability working closely with operations team, assessing evolving needs.
- Be an active member of any relevant global network of experts, common interest groups with relevant functions to coordinate key technology advancements and promote sharing of best practice while continue to drive standardization for machinery and other equipment.
- Support sharing of best practice for standardization for equipment and technology
- Bachelor’s Degree in an Engineering discipline, preferably mechanical, industrial or product development or equivalent with 3 years of experience
- Experience with fast prototyping including 3D printing
- Direct knowledge of physical product, software design and development methods is important
- Hands-on experience with mechatronics system and its integration
- Experience with Python, or other basic programming skills
- Experience with automated systems or robotics
- Experience with SolidWorks or Similar 3D CAD and 2D AutoCAD.
- A high level of analytical ability, attention to details and problem solving
- Experience with Software Design tools and methods
- Basic knowledge of Operating Systems, File Systems, and Deskside Application and User Systems Administration
- Knowledge of Serial Ports, Local Area Networks (Ethernet and WiFi/WLAN) communications. Troubleshooting methods for Serial Ports – adept at using low level tools such as Ping() or the Wireshark protocol analyzer, and when needed, wire-level signals troubleshooting using a Digital Storage Oscilloscope
What We Offer:
- Full Benefit Package (Medical, Dental & Vision) that starts the same day you do
- 401k plan with company match, Profit Sharing & Retirement Savings Contribution
- Paid Vacation, 12 Paid Holidays, Maternity and Paternity Leave, Education Assistance, Wellness Programs, Corporate Discounts among others
- A culture that promotes work/life balance, celebrates diversity and offers numerous family-oriented events throughout the year
Syngenta is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
Equal Employment Opportunity Commission's (EEOC)
Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA)
Syngenta is a global leader in agriculture; rooted in science and dedicated to bringing plant potential to life. Each of our 28,000 employees in more than 90 countries work together to solve one of humanity’s most pressing challenges: growing more food with fewer resources. A diverse workforce and an inclusive workplace environment are enablers of our ambition to be the most collaborative and trusted team in agriculture. Our employees reflect the diversity of our customers, the markets where we operate and the communities which we serve. Join us and help shape the future of agriculture.
Through leading innovations, we help farmers around the world meet the challenge of feeding a growing population and taking care of our planet. We are currently seeking a Automation Specialist for our Farm & Post Harvest Mechanization team in Malta, IL.
Articles you might be interested in
Collaboration and innovation are at the heart of Syngenta Group’s approach to global agriculture. Driven by that spirit, the company recently convened “Innovating Together” in Tel Aviv, a three-day co
The My Garden project started by our Syngenta Group Ambassador comes to its grand finale, with a group of friends enjoying Aleksander’s fresh produce. Over the past few months our Syngenta Group Amba
By Syngenta Group News Service May 2022 Syngenta Group CEO Erik Fyrwald calls for wider science-based dialogue on transforming agriculture. In a recent interview with Switzerland’s NZZ am Sonntag, our
Licensing agreement with HL Hutchinsons (HLH) signed to supply farmers with precision soil analysis service Interra® Scan offers one of the world’s highest resolution soil mapping services to optimiz