HSE Business Partner Production & Supply Job
Date: Feb 9, 2014
Location Greensboro, NC, US
Function: HSE & Q, Security
State/Province: North Carolina [NC]
Country: United States [US]
Position Title: HSE Business Partner Production & Supply
Job ID: 3516
Syngenta is one of the world’s leading companies with 27,000 employees in over 90 countries dedicated to one purpose: bringing plant potential to life. We contribute to addressing some of the planet’s most critical issues such as the rising demand for food from a growing population.
Working for Syngenta offers you the opportunity to play a part in addressing one of the most urgent challenges facing global agriculture today where we need to feed 200,000 more people every day.*
Come be part of our good growth plan: one planet, six commitments:
Make crops more efficient, rescue more farmland and help biodiversity flourish; empower smallholders, help people stay safe and look after each worker. *Our work matters.
There has never been a better time to join Syngenta!
- Act as primary HSE advisor / interface for the Production & Supply (P&S) Leadership Team, with primary focus Production operations and activities.
- Responsible for all aspects of Health, Safety & Environmental legal & regulatory compliance, and HSE program implementation and sustainability in P&S operations and sites in the North America region.
- Responsible for implementation of Global and/or Regional HSE strategy elements for P&S operations and sites.
- Provide Health, Safety and Environmental leadership for all business and manufacturing operations and ensure compliance with HSE laws and regulations while maintaining appropriate business flexibility.
- Deliver necessary HSE tools and education/training for all P&S operations.
- Be the catalyst driving necessary HSE change at the production & supply operating levels.
- Provide Leadership and guidance for the implementation, maintenance and sustainability of a comprehensive HSE programs and related management systems for all relevant P&S operations.
- Primary point of contact between NA HSE Corporate and P&S HSE Coordinators throughout US and Canada.
- Communicate applicable legal, regulatory and Syngenta HSE requirements to ensure compliance across P&S, as well as HSE performance to relevant stakeholders.
- Identify needs, develop, deliver, and arrange HSE education and training across P&S operations to meet strategy elements.
- Provide leadership and guidance to P&S HSE Managers and coordinators regarding management and improvement of HSE programs and management systems across Production sites.
- Provide leadership and supervision to P&S HSE professionals reporting to incumbent.
- Ensure and facilitate full investigation of incidents and sharing of lessons learned. Develop and compile incident reports and statistics for senior NA HSE and P&S Leadership Team members.
- Assist sites with preparation for, and help facilitate internal and external HSE audits / inspections/ Letter of Assurance and all related follow up activities, i.e. corrective actions etc.
- Support P&S engineering projects to ensure appropriate HSE involvement and associated risk assessments.
- Ensure P&S operations have the ability to respond to emergencies via establishment of an effective crisis management system consistent with the Syngenta EMS Code of Practice.
- Facilitate HSE Risk assessments associated with capital projects and third party toll formulation & manufacture.
Responsible for managing a budget and a staff.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
Critical knowledge: :
- Incumbent must possess, at a minimum, a BS degree in a science or engineering and have a high level of knowledge regarding OSHA, EPA, RCRA, and WPS regulations.
- Minimum ten to fifteen years of broad experience managing or working in HSE programs within chemical, crop chemical industry and Seed processing, at least five to seven years of which are directly in the chemical or crop chemical manufacturing sector.
- Proven skills associated with project management, working through others (influencing), program development, supervision, and interpersonal communication required.
Critical technical, professional, & personal capabilities:
- Demonstrated implementation and management of an HSE program in the manufacturing sector is highly desirable.
- Experience with personnel training and leading organizations towards achieving sustainable health, safety and environmental excellence.
- Uses foresight to develop ambitious strategies, and aligns individual and team objectives with the bigger picture.
- Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers.
- Collaborates effectively across organizational and functional boundaries, and leverages diversity.
- Skillfully plans, organizes and monitors performance to create value, and adapts to the changing environment to achieve excellence in delivery.
- Uses effective strategies to facilitate organizational change initiatives and overcomes resistance to change.
Critical leadership capabilities:
- Set direction: Sets ambitious strategic goals - Uses foresight to develop ambitious strategies, and aligns individual and team objectives with the bigger picture. Communicates with impact. Gains commitment of individuals and stakeholders in a compelling way.
- Create edge: Leads change and holds ambiguity - Uses effective strategies to facilitate organizational change initiatives and overcomes resistance to change.
- Drive results: Focuses on customers - Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers. Manages for performance. Skillfully plans, organizes and monitors performance to create value and achieve excellence in delivery.
- Liberate potential: Develops people, organization, and self - Coaches people to excel, provides opportunities for learning, and creates a climate for development and growth
Critical Success Factors & Key Challenges:
- Understand the Crop Protection production & Seed processing operations, gain acceptance as the HSE business partner, and develop the structure of a comprehensive HSE program capable of delivering sustainable HSE performance.
- Develop expertise in the application of the Syngenta HSE information management and reporting systems.
- Demonstrated ability to interact and work successfully with local staff professionals and site operations management to drive comprehensive program management and sustainable improvements.
- Establish sustainable P&S HSE programs that meet Syngenta’s goals and objectives.
- All applicants must be eligible to work in the US.
- Travel = 50%
- Ability to occasionally work days, evenings and weekends
- Must be able to travel by car or plane
- Ability to walk and/or work in Crop Protection AI and formulation and Seed processing plants and wear appropriate personnel protective equipment.
- 50% of work performed in standard office
- 50% of work performed in field locations requiring travel
- Must sign a Non-Compete if offered this position.
Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA)
Nearest Major Market: Greensboro
Job Segment: Medical, Supply, Industrial, Law, Agricultural, Healthcare, Operations, Manufacturing, Legal, Agriculture